I’m in the process of doing some research on atheists who have traditionally conservative viewpoints on life. Basically, there are still some atheists out there who are against marriage equality, against contraception availability for women, and other traditionally conservative opinions. Obviously, many “Conservative Christians” have based their opinions on life and society on Biblical teachings and views, but I’m curious to how atheists who have these same opinions have developed their views on life. They can’t say that the Bible claims marriage is between a man and a women as their basis for not wanting to allow same-sex marriages, or that contraception is morally evil according to terms in the Bible, so I’d love to know how traditionally conservative atheists have formulated their opinions.
The following questionnaire contains some rather lengthy questions that will have lengthy answers. Please copy and paste the below questions into an email to email@example.com and respond honestly. The more information you can provide, obviously, the better. Obviously, please only respond to this questionnaire if you are a conservative atheist as I’m trying not to skew any data.
Your answers will remain 100% anonymous. I will not be reporting your identity in my findings to be announced on a future podcast episode. I have absolutely no interest in spamming anyone or throwing your information out into the public. I only have an interest in how your opinions were formed. I may respond to your email with more questions, asking for clarification, but I’ll have no other reason to communicate with you about your viewpoints.
- Pro-life or pro-choice? If pro-life, why?
- Additionally, if pro-life, are you also against companies (i.e. Hobby Lobby) being mandated to provide insurance coverage for specific women’s health needs like contraception? If so, why?
- Are you for or against marriage equality (more commonly known as “gay marriage”)? If against, why?
- With regards to immigration, are you:
- For or against amnesty for children of parents from impoverished countries? If against, why?
- For or against closing off every border and the entire visa system with regards to allowing immigrants to legally come to your country? If against, why?
- For or against the concept of allowing members of non-Christian religions (Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc) to practice their religions freely in your country? If against, why?
- For or against the concept of multi-lingual services in your country, such as multi-lingual signs or announcements in public places? If against, why?
- From an environmental standpoint, do you believe we should practice more conservation principles, or spend money on researching renewable fuel sources, such as solar or wind? Why?
- With regards to charities, many conservative Christians will donate to religious organizations or other organizations with significant religious fundamentals. As a conservative atheist, what conservative charities or organizations that are commonly funded by religious conservatives do you support and/or donate to, and why?
- Do you feel that education needs to be more regulated, meaning, made more affordable and accessible for all ages, not just college-level? Why? Also, speaking of college-level, do you feel there should be student loan or debt reform? Why/why not?
- Are you for or against capital punishment, such as the death penalty? Why or why not?
- Even though you have no beliefs as an atheist, do you still feel that there should be prayer in schools or that students even as young as primary school-age should be taught religious fundamentals or concepts? If yes, what should and should not be taught?
- Going on that same concept, should private religious schools receive any state or federal funding, whether in the form of grants or cash funding, or through special tax incentives? Again, explain where the line should be drawn.
Again, I have zero interest in making your personal information available to the public or stating who you are in my research results. Please be as honest as possible when answering these questions. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with all of the information and I’ll compile everything. If you want a full copy of my findings, place that request in the email as well and I’ll send you a copy once it’s all compiled.
Thanks in advance, everyone.